Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Collage to Share

We've been busy with a trip to visit family @ Trinity Lake and working on Sunny's eating issues (still, though she continues to gain weight well). Sunny had her frenulum (tiny piece of skin attached to the underside of the tongue) snipped a bit yesterday. (Info on tongue-tie is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankyloglossia ) There are few nerves and blood vessels there, but it was still traumatic for me and Sunny. I had to pin her arms while the doctor went into her mouth with tiny scissors to do the deed. But she calmed quickly afterwards. This was Plan C in our breastfeeding efforts, and I'm glad we did it. The modified frenulum now allows her to move her tongue around normally, and she nursed well for the first time tonight. What a relief - feedings will be so much easier going forward!

Last week Sunny got to meet her cousins Halle and Sebastian for the first time! What fun. Halle did a great job holding her, and Sebastian was also super affectionate. More cousin-play pics to come...

Another highlight last week was our visit from Jon Harell. He'd offered to drop off his extra Pack N Play, and he told Max he had it in his truck. When we saw a huge firetruck pull up in front of our house, we figured out which truck he'd meant! We met his team and he held Sunny. Curious neighbors joined us in the middle of the street. In terms of PR, our fire department has elevated things to a new level--holding babies and meeting neighbors is great.

Sunny and I had lunch with Veda and her mom Jamie (my friend from work) on Monday. It was funny to see our two girls side by side! Jamie explained that, though Veda's a couple months old, the two are pretty much the same effective age because Veda was born early. They were doing similar sounds and expressions during lunch--grunts, stretches, popeye (one eye open), etc. I'm sure they'll be great buddies! It's great to talk with other moms about what works well for them--I always learn things.

Useless trivia: We love our BOB stroller, and people keep asking me what BOB stands for. So I looked it up (another important question, demystified by the internet):
'Originally, the name of the company was Beast of Burden, which many thought was a burden unto itself. However, in typical California fashion, that mouthful was soon shortened to its acronym BOB. 'BOB was easier to spell, funny, and simple,' Roger explains. 'A lot like us and the stuff we produce.'

3 comments:

  1. so sorry you had to go through the snip snip. that couldn't be easy. but i'm so glad to hear she's eating a little better!

    great pics from your trip. she's a pro traveler now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great update...
    I'm so happy that Sunny is finally nursing! This is going to make life so much easier!

    love the collage too! We've had so much fun seeing so much of you all...I had no idea about BOB, I like what you said, Baby on Board...that's a little more kid-friendly!

    Love to you all, see you tonight??? I'll give you a call to fill you in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering how the little snip went! I'm glad to hear it went well and you're getting the results you'd hoped for.

    We had a great time on our lunch date. Let's try and do it again next week!

    xoxo, jamie & veda

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.